Though a final assessment can be made by an
inspection service company, this checklist can serve as a reminder of some
things to consider to make wise buying decisions.
- Check the foundation, floors, walls and poured
- Make sure there's no evidence of water seepage or
- Minor settling cracks are usually not structurally
- Make sure there's drainage.
- If necessary, make sure there's a sump pump for
sanitary and foundation draining.
- Check to see if the crawl space is dry.
- Inspection by qualified exterminator is necessary
for existing and potential problems related to wood rot and termites.
- Check the condition of flooring, whether plank or
- Check for solid construction of bridging and
- Check walls, whether drywall or plaster. Make sure
there are no water marks.
- Make sure the attic is sufficiently insulated and
- Check that the fireplace damper is in working
order, and flues to the chimney are clear.
- On heating and air-conditioning systems, check what
minor periodic maintenance is required, such as oil fan motor, lubricate
bearings, clean humidifier, replace filters, etc.
- Check the hot water system -- type and gallon
capacity. How long has the present unit been in service
- Check the electricity to make sure that the
standard house current, number of circuits, outlets and fuses or circuit
breakers are sufficient for everyday needs, and the condition of wiring is good.
Check for good water pressure throughout house and that the
tie-in to local water supply facilities, etc. are all in working order.
- Bathroom and kitchen fixtures should be in good
shape. Make sure the range, refrigerator, dishwater/disposal, laundry
facilities, etc. are all in working order.
- Check exterior lot and landscaping. Is it properly
graded or contoured Are trees and shrubs sufficient for your needs
- Check that fences, walls, patio and driveway are in
- Be sure exterior walls are suitable to weather
conditions. Check doors and windows. Are they easy to open and close (or
replace) for storm/screen removal or installation
- Are the roof, gutters and downspouts in good
- Is the garage door or opener in good working order
Is there sufficient electrical and heating access in the garage
For More Information
* Indicates a Required Field.